My last post reminded me of a few unsuitable homeschooling worksheets that I encountered over the years.
For a few years Mom used a popular Christian curriculum to homeschool us. There are two workbook pages that I still remember to this day.
Number one: a page in one of my workbooks was decorated with pictures of fairies or elves or something equally magical.* Mom wasn't comfortable with encouraging children to be interested in such things and took that page out of the book just before I was suppose to begin that section. I don't remember if that meant that I had one less page of homework to do that day or if Mom had me skip ahead to the next page.
Number two: early in my homeschool career I was given a worksheet that had a rather disturbing question on it. It told me to imagine that I had an apple (yah!) and that I needed to divide that apple into pieces to share with a friend (yah!). And then it asked if it was possible for me to divide that apple into unequal pieces.
Well, of course it wasn't possible! Sharing wasn't about hoarding a bigger piece for oneself or for purposefully giving someone else more than they needed. I wondered how the authors of that workbook had been brought up if they thought it was ok to cheat anyone out of their fair share of the apple when dividing it up. My answer to this question reflected my annoyance at the ignorance and selfishness inherent in the question.
For reasons that would take a few years for me to understand Mom was greatly amused was by my answer. I think she might have even saved that worksheet for posterity as I do remember seeing it years later as a teenager. She had written a note on it saying that I'd missed the point the author was making: one can make fractions out of a whole number even if the fractions are unequal to one another. ( e.g. 1/8 + 3/8 +1/2 = 1).
*Little did she know that I would read all of the fairy tales, ghost stories and other supernatural fare that I could find as soon as I was enrolled in public school. ;)
(Photo credit.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I don't remember the apple story, but reading your take on it made me laugh all over again! Kids are concrete thinkers, and I find them so entertaining.
I'm glad you pursued your love of fiction in spite of me. Sci fi is now one of my favorite genres. It takes a second any fiction that you may write, of course .... :D
" Sci fi is now one of my favorite genres."
Mine, too.
" It takes a second any fiction that you may write, of course .... :D"
:D
Post a Comment