Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Rebellion

This was my first act of rebellion. It was quietly subtle and I doubt my parents ever even noticed.

As I mentioned in my last post, Good Charismatics (tm) aren't suppose to read secular books about spiritual or supernatural topics. Nope, no ghosts or faeries or vampires or elves for us. No siree!

Just before puberty, I became a mediocre Charismatic. Incidentally, it was also about the time that I began attending public school. When one attends public school, one also gains access to the school library.

When one is intelligent and well-read, one may finish their assignments early. And when one finishes their assignments early on a consistent basis (while also gaining the trust of the teacher), sometimes one gets to walk down the hall  to visit the school library for half an hour or so.

And when one visits the library alone, sometimes one wanders in new sections of the library.

When this happens, one may come across a really cool, illustrated book of  traditional/folk ghost stories. One may even check said book out of the school library.

And bring it home. Read  it before bedtime. Hide it under one's pillow before Mom or Dad comes to tuck one in.

Read some more. And really like it, even if one isn't suppose to like dark stories about death, grief, revenge, and (sometimes) reconciliation.

So one doesn't like it. Nope, not even a smidgen. One most certainly does not go back to the library for more spooky stories after the first book is finished.

Ahem. That is all I have to say about that. ;)


4 comments:

Tammy said...

at which school did you do this? Slade?

you are so funny when you're sneaky. ;)

The Preacher's Kid said...

Yeah, it was Slade.

:)

Anonymous said...

That's one area where my parents were more liberal than yours. I was allowed to read pretty much any book I wanted to. I don't remember being questioned about what I was reading. I was very adventurous in my reading choices too, but I bent more toward Stephen King novels than folk ghost stories. :-)

The Preacher's Kid said...

I read Stephen King as well, once I got a little older. :)