Thursday, May 13, 2010

Alcohol and Your Church

Recently I attended  a party thrown for a church group Drew sometimes attends. It wasn't a church-sponsored party but (almost) everyone there was a member of that church.

A few of the attendees brought bottles of wine to share. It didn't bother me personally but for a split second I thought, "wait a minute...these are church people. What are they doing with alcohol?" Just as quickly I thought, "why are you thinking that, PK? It's been a very long time since you lived amongst people who thought alcohol is bad." Old belief-structures die hard, I guess.

It makes me wonder, though, if it's most common for a church to forbid, condone, approve or not have an opinion on social drinking.  I was going to post a poll about this topic but I had some trouble with the wording of it. What does (or did) your church teach about the use of alcohol? 

5 comments:

teresaS said...

No alcohol for the Mennonites, although we did know of some who would go out of town and drink! That really bugged me. You can't drink in Archbold but Toledo is ok??
I think there were people in almost every church we were involved in that did drink and also those who did not. But, it was also a belief that you didn't do anything that might offend another person so we didn't drink for that reason.
Jesus turned the water into wine NOT grape juice...you won't convince me of anything other than that! But, I do find it funny that after so many years of being indoctrinated against drinking, that it still creeps into our lives!!

The Preacher's Kid said...

"You can't drink in Archbold but Toledo is ok??"

Heh, I knew people like that growing up. I do think it had to do with not leading others astray (or, in some cases, not wanting to be gossiped about. :) )

Tammy said...

my grandpa made wine in his basement, and when I was about 12 he gave me a sip of rum from Haiti. He didn't spread the word, but he didn't hide it either. I think Lockport had some rebels in the ranks.

The Preacher's Kid said...

Too funny, Mom. I never knew that!

Tammy said...

that was grandma sharon's dad. that side of the family was not so conservative.