Monday, May 17, 2010

Scratching the Surface

When I was about seven or eight Mom told me the urban legend about the scientists in Eastern Europe who drilled so far into the earth's crust that when the drill was removed they could hear the screams of people being tortured in hell.

I think she read the story in a Christian magazine? At any rate it freaked the heck out of me for the next several years. I didn't understand why anyone would dig so deeply into the ground if that is what awaited us on the other side of the drill.

In time Mom learned that the story she had heard wasn't true. When she told me that it was a legend, nothing more, I felt relief soaking into the very marrow my bones. But a sliver of me was also disappointed that we had not, in fact, pierced the surface of the earth's crust yet. I no longer remember why it was that I wanted scientists to accomplish this feat, only that it was something I quietly waited for them to do for about a half dozen years of my childhood. It was a matter of when it happened, not if, for that time in my life.

If they ever do manage to do this I will buy each one of you a cupcake!

12 comments:

Tammy said...

wow! I forgot that. i think it was on the Pat Robertson show.

The Preacher's Kid said...

Did you actually believe it at the time? :)

Laura Gerencser said...

Thats an interesting legend!

The Preacher's Kid said...

Had you never heard it before?

Anonymous said...

I had not heard that one. It serves to confirm my opinion of Pat Robertson and the like.

The Preacher's Kid said...

Definitely. :)

Tammy said...

I was curious - I don't think I totally bought it, but I was not willing to rule it out either.

I really hate to admit that but it's true. :(

teresaS said...

Tammy, I can hardly believe that you actually wondered if that one was real! That is just bizarre. I had never heard that one. Just goes to show you how our children are influenced by everything they hear and see! I don't have room to talk..I believed the whole gold dust one!

Tammy said...

When the heroes on religious TV are announcing it as part of their newscast, and discussing it as the latest proof of a God, it's easy to get sucked in. I wish I had been a critical thinker when I was younger.

It's a tough thing ... you want to believe in miracles and have hope for a God who is bigger and smarter than we are ... and you want to be a critical thinker and never be gullible. I don't know if a person can do both.

Anonymous said...

I'm happy with just the critical thinker part....:)
Jesse

Tammy said...

but where do you get your hope? and i know you have some cause you're a happy person.

Anonymous said...

'but where do you get your hope? and i know you have some cause you're a happy person.'

I don't know for sure. I'm going to have to ponder that and get back with you.....
Jesse