
Over the last few weeks Drew and I have been listening to Inglorious Pastors, a series of sermons about pacifism at The Meeting House.
Part two of this series, The Radical Reformation, tells another story about an Anabaptist man. I no longer recall his name but this man had been tied up and was sentenced to die through drowning for his heretical Anabaptist beliefs - that Jesus modelled pacifism, that baptism should be reserved for adults who understand the commitment they are making, and that one cannot be a truly committed Christian and participate in secular government or the military simultaneously.
This man was tied up and put into a boat. As a third man rowed them out to the middle of the water there was a priest sitting next to this Anabaptist trying to convince him to repent of his heresy. The Anabaptist man spent that time trying to convince the priest that he should repent of his heresy. When the boat reached its destination the Anabaptist man was thrown overboard and soon drowned.
Normally I have little to no interest in sermons but this series has captured my attention. I wonder if my grandfather's story about Dirk Willems will appear in next week's podcast? If it doesn't I will be sorely tempted to email the lead pastor and share it with him.
7 comments:
I wonder how many people have died because their theology hasn't been equivalent to their superiors' theology? All this for something that can only be proven or disproved after one dies? It is interesting listening to the stories, but if I dwell too long on the reality of the stories it makes me question alot of stuff
jesse
Jesse, reading your words, I can hear your father in them. You are a wonderful young man. We need to take a walk and have a talk again ... I miss that!
I heard Dad in your comment too, Jesse. Wow.
I almost feel like I'm trespassing on family ground by commenting. Jesse, you are so fortunate to have such a good relationship with your mom and dad...Her not was so filled with admiration and love...it touched me.
We just had a talk similar to this with Cole this past week. He feels that there are no answers to all the questions he has. And, like you said, dwelling on things like that can be overwhelming and confusing since there are really no difinitive answers 'on this side'.
Lydia-this was quite the story! My dad had a huge book "Martyr's Mirror"..you may have heard of it and it was filled with these stories including pictures of some!! It was terrifying for me as a young person.
I should do a better job of proofing my posts before publishing. I meant to say that your mom's 'comment' was so filled with love and admiration...I have no idea what her 'not' is!
"My dad had a huge book "Martyr's Mirror"."
No, I've never heard of that book before.
the Martyr's Mirror is the only book that the Amish use, in addition to the Bible, as their holy books. The early Mennonites also lived this way ... those were the 2 books that every home ought to have.
I too looked at a Martyr's Mirror as a kid, and I too was very afraid. the suffering and cruelty was traumatic for me to read about. I wonder what it does to little kids when this is a part of their early religious education.
Post a Comment