When Aaron was two or three he decided that everyone who visited our house needed to be saved. Mom and Dad had just started a small house church at the time so Aaron had ample opportunity to ask this question as we met new people each week.
"Hi! Are you saved?" he'd say. I remember one man being a little surprised by the question. It took me some time to realize that, for him, it wasn't as much of a routine question as it was for us. (And he never did answer it! ;) ) We were home-schooled and home-churched then and I didn't have as much access to the ways in which other people lived as I would a few years later when I switched to public school.
(Photo credit.)
Wednesday, May 19, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

11 comments:
This guy was Huff's friend. Mike. I think he laughed and said, "I'm safe from Huff!"
Yeah, I remember that!
I wasn't sure if it was part of this story, though. :)
It was a completely different mind set I had back then. I think it probably kept me from getting into more mischif but I also remember vividly when I started to actually think about what I believe, not just believe it because I was told to...I'm at work now but I will expand on that thought later
Jesse
I can't wait. :)
Jesse - how do you think one can teach a moral life to children without religion as a framework?
This was the beginning and the end of my witnessing. lol
Aaron -- do you remember it??
yeah, i think i was 4
did you realize at the time that Mike was uncomfortable?
Jesse - how do you think one can teach a moral life to children without religion as a framework?
Well I say have morals as the framework. Relate the child's actions to how it makes others feel as well as how it makes him/her feel. Young kids (at least until age 3 since that's all I have experienced) mimic what they see in their surroundings. If I show concern for how others feel, and how my actions affect them, I believe my son will follow in a similar path. I believe so far that 'philosophy' on raising a child without 'religion' has worked out. We will see what the next 3 years bring our way. I'm sure my views may change over the years but I think they will always be focused on leading by example. But even if my son does make some bad choices in his teenage years or after, they are in fact HIS choices. I don't think parents should be solely held responsible for their childs actions. Even children need to learn to own up to their decisions I think
-Jesse
i like reading your thoughts, mr. anonymous.
Post a Comment