Wednesday, June 30, 2010

When God Bought Our Dinner

One of the depressing things about raising a family on a patchwork of minimum wage jobs and preaching was that one never has any money left over for treats.

We were unbelievably lucky in that there was always a roof over our heads,  clothing on our backs, and some sort of food in the kitchen. Millions of parents have raised or are raising sons and daughters without even the assurance that there were be these basic necessities today or tomorrow or next week. But, looking back, I think it bothered Dad at times to see his children growing up without so many of the things that middle-class families take for granted.

As an aside, this was  definitely one of the advantages of being home-schooled and sheltered- so many of our friends were in the same socio-economic position that even now I am at times jerked into realizing once again how dis-similar the lives were of my friends who grew up in solidly middle-class and/or secular home environments when compared to my own. We may speak the same language, have grown up in the same county, country or continent, and maybe even share the same ethnic background. But we are still coming from worlds that have little else in common.

One story sticks out in my mind more than any other. Mom and Dad took us to visit a museum on one of his days off when I was probably about seven or eight. I wish I could remember what the museum was preserving for future generations - all I can recall is the rustle of children trying so desperately to be quiet in an unfamiliar and exciting environment,  the gentle voice of the museum staff member explaining some important bit of history to us, and the tinge of sadness I felt when the tour was finished. I had so hoped it would have lasted a little longer.


As we left the museum Dad found some folded-up money. No one he spoke to was missing any cash so he returned to the car with the oddest expression on his face.

"I found some money," he said. "God gave it to me and I'm taking all of you out to eat." It has been 20-ish years and I can still taste the salt on those french fries. The money Dad found was just enough to pay for some drive-through hamburgers, fries and a few colas so that is what we had for lunch that day.

It had been quite some time since we had been able to afford a treat like that and I quietly wondered why God decided to surprise us that day.  As an adult I wonder if the person who lost that money needed it even more than us. I sincerely hope that she or he never even noticed it was missing.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, God drops stuff everywhere. :)

Many moon ago my father-in-law and I were driving along a back road and found a box full of raccoon pelts.

Praise Jesus. We took them to the pelt buyer and took home the Jesus cash. I wonder about the hunter who God took the pelts away from so we could have them? :)

Like your family, I have dozens and dozens of such stories. God dropped stuff everywhere for our family. I can now explain most of them. There are a couple though that I still wonder about...

The Preacher's Kid said...

I'd like to hear about the ones that you still wonder about sometime. :)

Tammy said...

We thought it was a one dollar bill. when we got to the car, it was a one dollar bill folded around a 10 dollar bill. surprise!

The Preacher's Kid said...

I can't believe you remember the exact amount! :)

Tammy said...

i have a good memory. everybody tells me that. on a bad day, i fear forgetting things. which is odd ... but there you go.

Anonymous said...

I think you did a good job working with what you had mom and dad. I don't have memories of being worried about not having enough money in Wyoming, just memories of fun...and of course when some older kids took my bike and dad let them have it to the point where I think they needed to wipe themselves on their way home:)
jesse

Anonymous said...

I think you did a good job working with what you had mom and dad. I don't have memories of being worried about not having enough money in Wyoming, just memories of fun...and of course when some older kids took my bike and dad let them have it to the point where I think they needed to wipe themselves on their way home:)
jesse

Tammy said...

thanks Jesse! we tried to not talk about money problems too much in front of the kids -- we wanted to enjoy life with you and not worry you. but there were some times when we only had a few more days worth of food in the house and less than $20 in the checkbook. not too many times like that, thankfully ...

amazingly, we have never been late on a bill in our entire 29 year marriage.

The Preacher's Kid said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Well I can say after almost 32 years of marriage I can't remember how many times we have been late on a bill. Your God must have had more money than our God. :)

Tammy said...

you chose the wrong one Bruce. you gotta for the faith and prosperity God! :D