Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Church in the Park

In the early 1990s, when we lived in Wyoming, church happened at a local park during the summer. Mom and Dad rented a pavilion for a few hours each week (I think it looked similar to the pavilion on the right side of this post?)

Sometimes the grownups would grill hotdogs or hamburgers, at other times Mom would bring a pre-cooked, covered dish from home to share. Many of our church members were young college students who didn't cook so their contributions to our church dinner were often  the kind of junk food that Mom normally didn't feed us - store-bought cookies, chips, maybe even a litre or two of off-brand soda.

We'd have a short church service, eat whatever food had been brought to share and then Jesse and I would run off to play in the park. (Aaron was still a toddler when we first moved to Wyoming. I don't remember him joining our unsupervised play until he was a bit older.)

I've never been back to that park (or even the state of Wyoming!) as an adult although I suspect that the former was probably neither as large nor as isolated as I remember. I know it had at least one parking lot that was close enough to the playground that, on other days, Mom and Dad could sit in the car and talk while the three of us played knowing that we'd hear the car horn when it beeped to tell us that it was time to go home.

For some reason, early June reminds me of this park.  Maybe we attended some sort of special event there at about that time of year that I've long since forgotten?

(Photo credit.)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

We had Church in the park several times a year. It was our opportunity to share our faith with the world...and eat. :)

The Preacher's Kid said...

With emphasis on the eating part, I suppose? :D

Tammy said...

maybe June reminds you because most of Laramie's summer is more like spring in the midwest. we never used air conditioning there, and we never felt too warm.

i also have not been back to Laramie. It would be fun to go there sometime for a vacation. it would be the most if all of our kids could join us there, and we could see all the sights again together!

Tammy said...

... the most *fun* if all ...

The Preacher's Kid said...

Yes! We should make that our next family vacation. :)

"maybe June reminds you because most of Laramie's summer is more like spring in the midwest."

It's very possible. And this June has felt like spring so far, cool and somewhat rainy. Not summerlike at all.

Aaron said...

I'd like to go back and see Vedauwoo again

teresaS said...

Sounds like a nice settting for a church service. You guys have had a lot of interesting experiences.

The Preacher's Kid said...

:)

Tammy said...

we could all fly to Denver and rent a big 11 passenger van and spend a week in Wyoming. that would be so much fun! maybe some August, when we want to escape the heat of the desert, and Jesse and Aaron are not in the middle of college classes.

maybe August of 2011 or 2012?

The Preacher's Kid said...

I would love that. :)

Unknown said...

That will mark our 30 yr anniversary!