Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Turtle Soup



I know my last post dealt with some very serious subject matter, so I thought I'd post something lighthearted as my next entry.


This story happened in the summer of 1994  or 1995, just after we moved from Wyoming to Ohio so that Dad could take a new job as the Pastor of a medium-sized Charismatic church.  


We were now living in a lakefront property in a suburban community surrounded by cornfields. The house we were living in was a little small for a family with three growing kids in it, but we did have a large backyard full of mature trees and private access to the lake. Unfortunately the soil was too poor for any sort of gardening, but the fire pit at the edge of the lake and the hammock that Dad hung up for me made up for the occasional twinges in my green thumb.


One day, one of the members of our congregation came over to visit. He was a stocky, bearded man in his 60s who always had some sort of project to work on. On that day, he decided  to have some turtle soup for dinner. He also decided that we ought to join him for this meal.


We had a big cooking pot, a wooden spoon and some root vegetables. His fishing skills provided the meat. I didn't go along with him to catch the turtle, although I believe he caught it with some sort of fishing line and bait instead of using any sort of trap.


The turtle that was to become our dinner looked like the turtle in the above picture, more or less. It's shell was greenish-brown, it was healthy and full grown to the best of my recollection. It was still alive when he brought it to our backyard. Once again, I vacated the premises. I wasn't opposed to learning what turtle soup tasted like, but I had no interest in watching the living, breathing turtle in front of me transition into a pile of meat.



I do have a vague memory of our fisher-friend cleaning some stray membranes from the shell of the turtle, so I must not have wandered away for too long. And then I remember the turtle soup bubbling on the stove, almost ready to eat. 


It was a delicious meal. Turtles - or at least that particular turtle - taste sort of like the dark meat on chicken. Very tender, just a little chewy. It's something I wouldn't mind having again...but only if someone else does the slaughtering!


(The turtle picture came from this website, and the soup picture came from this one ).


8 comments:

Laura Gerencser said...

Ew! I don't think I would be able to eat a turtle! I like them too much to eat them!:)

The Preacher's Kid said...

If I had to butcher my own meat, I'd be a vegetarian. :)

Tammy said...

your grandpa Schoch came over that day, and I served him the stew. He ate it and liked it. Then when he found out it was turtle, he was mad cause he hates turtle meat. :D

The Preacher's Kid said...

That is too funny! :O

Tammy said...

PS this man's name was Gale Davis. I will supply the names to all the characters in your stories. :D

The Preacher's Kid said...

I'm glad you remember their names. :)

Anonymous said...

I would like to try turtle sometime.
I've butchered chickens and have to admit that I kind of like it! I don't like cutting the head off much, but I do enjoy cleaning them!
I want to raise and butcher our own turkey for Thanksgiving next year if I can convince my husband!
My parents butchered chickens when I was growing up so I was used to it. I can remember watching my mom 'gut' the chicken and being so grossed out!! It doesn't gross me out now though.

The Preacher's Kid said...

If you ever try it, let me know what you think.

I don't think I could ever butcher my own animal - I can barely even touch raw meat when I'm cooking. :O