We went out to dinner with extended family members recently. Just as the meal was starting, one of the people sitting at our table began to pray. Everyone bowed their heads.
I bowed mine, too. But instead of praying I thought, "if anyone is listening, I hope that an Agnostic bowing her head out of a severe disinterest in debating religion with conservative relatives doesn't offend you. My only desire here is to eat an Evangelism-free dinner."
And then the prayer was finished. And I ate my 100% certified Evangelism-free dinner. It was delicious. ;)
(Photo credit.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
So true!:)
:)
For me this is a conundrum..sp?? Anyway...I totally understand where the conservatives are coming from because that's my upbringing in the same way it was yours! But, really, isn't the idea of saying grace to be thankful? It's an attitude...and i understand why they do it, but also know that so many of the religious 'practices' lose meaning because they are done out of rote...it's just what you DO before you eat.
My views have changed so much on this issue. I can eat my food without praying first and do it without conviction.
I remember eating out with my parents one year at a Middle Eastern type restaurant with lots of muslim overtones in the decor and my dad making us all (18 of us) join hands around the table as he prayed loud enough for us all to hear. I'm not sure that is 'what jesus would do'???
I try to let others 'be' who they are and live our their beliefs in the same way I hope they let me live out mine! (and that's what you did!)
"try to let others 'be' who they are and live our their beliefs in the same way I hope they let me live out mine! "
Yes, exactly!
Although Drew recently told me that neither he nor his sisters kept their eyes closed during that prayer. One of his sisters may have even continued eating her meal quietly.
I wonder if it will be the same for your family?
So I suspect that this may be a family tradition that dies out when his parents do one day,
Post a Comment