As his Dad and Mom were driving us back to the subway, his Mom mentioned that Drew's oldest sister hadn't found a husband yet. Apparently this is a sad situation, something that should be remedied as soon as possible.
Marriage is a very good thing. I've never regretted getting married when I did, even though it was much younger than the average age of marriage for our subculture in Toronto and many of our friends up here thought we were terminally eccentric (in a loving way. ;) ) For me and my relationship, it was utterly right.
This doesn't mean, however, that the marital status of my extended family members is any of my business. If (the rest of) our siblings ever find themselves in loving, healthy relationships that lead to marriage, Drew and I will happily dance at their weddings. I might even wear a dress to said function(s). ;)
I will not, however, push any of them into this decision. Nor will I consider it sad if none of the rest of our siblings ever acquire a legal spouse. The important thing is that they are happy and content with their lives.
5 comments:
I so love this post! I get flack all the time about not being married. Barb told me "Don't worry, a girl at our church just got married and she's (shhh) 34!" LOL
Yeah, that sounds like Barb.
But if you do get married, these same people tell you when to have kids or buy a house or where you should attend church or go on vacation or how traditional you should be in your relationship.
It never ends. :)
when to retire, how to go through menopause, how to buy long term care insurance, how to write your will, when to downsize and give your things to your kids .... ;)
I think I'll start passing out free lessons about how to have a healthy sex life after 60 (not that I know a thing about that, but going with the idea that no unsolicited advice should be left unspoken) ;)
i can top all of your stories. When I married R he was a hippie..remember he was a product of the 60's. He had lived at home until we married-other than college. Then we lived in his hometown across the street from where his mom worked. She would leave work and come over onher way home (she walked) before R got home from work to ask me if I had gotten him to wear underwear yet???!!! He wore baggy overalls and chambray shirts...that was it! She was so obsessed with the underwear thing...it was an indication of my future with the monster-in-law!!I learned early to stay out of other people's lives!! especially my kid's!
Post a Comment