Monday, June 8, 2009

An Observation

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but this past weekend I went to a class reunion at a Christian school (not my own - I was just playing the part of the cute spouse. ;) ).

Once again, I noticed how strictly many Christians adhere to traditional gender roles. The event took place in a high school gymnasium. Many of the older alumni brought their spouses and kids, and I was surprised to see such a high percentage of young mothers wearing dresses and heels while they chased their young children around.

Drew's sisters and I were among the minority of women not wearing dresses or skirts. At nearly any other social event - especially when one lives in a large city - this would not be the case. Some of the men wore suits and ties, but it seemed much more socially acceptable for them to skip out on such formal attire for what was otherwise a rather informal event. It was as if we had stepped back 30 or 40 years into time.

The churches I grew up in weren't this extreme, but many women did wear skirts or dresses to church. There's nothing wrong with doing this, of course - it's just weird to see a room full of women who are _all_ wearing dresses, when one could walk down Yonge Street, pass several hundred women, and be able to count the number of them wearing similar attire on one hand. It was that out of character for Toronto, especially for the younger generations.

5 comments:

Tammy said...

how did you talk Drew into going to a reunion? I would have bet money on the fact that he would not be interested! :D

The Preacher's Kid said...

I didn't - he found out about it by himself. He decided to go because, "I thought it would be interesting to see how everyone turned out." (end quote).

Such is the way of the Drew. :D

Tammy said...

you are so good at understanding him. :D

and now we must know ... did people turn out the way he expected?

Drew Costen said...

Some yes, some no (sorry, just noticed your comment now). :)

The Preacher's Kid said...

No worries. :)