When I was in the church, alcohol was viewed with a great deal of suspicion. Some thought it was sinful to drink any alcohol at all, others thought that while it may not be a sin for everyone, it was better not to drink in order to set a good example for recovering alcoholics or new Christians. (Not all churches are like this, of course.)
During this time in my life, I drank maybe once or twice a year. Those who knew about it probably thought I was a bit weird, a bit foolhardy for doing this. Or at least that is the impression I got on the rare occasions that it came up in conversation - (but if there's one thing I learned as a PK, it was how to not let these things come up in conversation. ;) )
Now that I am fully immersed in an urban, secular society, alcohol is considered to be a very normal part of the socialization and relaxation process for adults of all ages. Nearly all of the secular social functions I'm invited to serve alcohol. Nearly all of the social functions put on by Christians do not.
I continue to drink at most a few times a year, which is a little weird for someone my age in Toronto. Especially since I don't have any religious reasons for not joining my peers in their ritual of Friday and Saturday night intoxication.
I'm damned if I do, damned if I don't. ;)
2 comments:
"but if there's one thing I learned as a PK, it was how to not let these things come up in conversation."
:D
Like I said before, it's a skill.
and I'm pretty decent at it. :D
Post a Comment