1 - Get married.
2 - Be submissive to your husband.
3 - Have children.
4- Be a stay-at-home Mom.
And I dreaded it.
My first plan, as a young teenager, was to delay the inevitable as long as possible. I planned to get a Bachelor's degree, do some traveling, maybe even go on to grad school. One couldn't be faulted for not finding a husband if they were busy being educated and saving the world, right? I supposed that I'd have to get married by the time I was 35 or 40, but with any luck I'd be much less fertile at that point.
My second plan was to avoid acquiring a husband or children at all. I wasn't quite sure how to accomplish this, other than maybe becoming a missionary or something. Or maybe I'd be offered a job in a big city that kept me so busy I wouldn't have time to slide into the traditional wifely role with anyone.
And then I met Drew. Slowly, we hammered out a relationship pattern that works for both of us. In some ways, it is traditional. In most ways, it is not. If the pastors and religious leaders who used to speak on topics like marriage and biblical wifely submission could see me now, they probably wouldn't be very impressed with how infrequently Drew and I use the bible when deciding who should do what in our relationship. But I did marry the man, so technically I have fulfilled a quarter of the Life Script. It was simply heavily edited first. ;)
Now I just have to write an alternative script for the other three-quarters of it!
3 comments:
very cool post very cool
You don't mind have a quiet rebel for a daughter? :D
you should read my comment on your dad's post from this morning on his blog. you are exactly what we raised you to be! :D
Post a Comment