Sunday, June 29, 2008

You Know You're Possessed If...

One of the best parts about being a PK in a Charismatic church was hearing the latest news about which  people, items and activities in my life were "possessed" by a demon or "influenced" by a spirit. (The latter being a light version of the former, I suppose. Although I never did quite figure out the difference between being possessed by and being under the influence of a spirit.)

Ok, that probably sounded odd. And it certainly wasn't so funny at the time, as most of us believed that possessions, etc. were something for which that Christians should keep an eye out. As I look back, though, I can definitely see the humor in anyone believing that:

  • Playing the game Magic: The Gathering
  • Being Gay
  • Reading the Harry Potter books
  • Having an owl or gargoyle statue on one's property
  • Men wearing earrings
  • Women having authoritative, assertive or abrasive personalities (i.e. "she has a 'Jezebel' spirit!" )

was evidence of an individual being heavily influenced, if not possessed, by an evil spirit. And, as odd as it may sound, I sort of miss hearing about the latest assumption that people who do or are X must be demon-possessed.  If I was less ethical, I'd start a rumour or two of my own.










Hey, did you know that people whose use sugar-substitutes in their coffee or tea are demon-possessed?

:P

No comments: