Saturday, July 5, 2008

Isaiah

It's been a decade since I first heard of him, but I still wonder if Isaiah exists yet.

Our church was very interested in the Toronto Vineyard movement of the 199o's when I was in my early teens. For a few years, various youth group leaders took turns escorting a dozen or so teens to an annual Easter youth conference at this church.

One year, I heard about Isaiah. A young woman was brought up to the stage. She appeared to be in her mid to late teens, and one of the announcers on the stage told us that doctors had said she would never have a child. The announcer then said that a prophecy had just been given to this woman. She was going to have a son, and his name would be Isaiah.

The church erupted into cheers and a cacophony of clapping upon hearing the news. I quietly sat in my chair and wondered if Isaiah would enter her life through adoption. And I wondered if the announcer would consider parenthood via homestudies and agency fees any less miraculous than if she were to have a biological child.

At the following year's conference, we were informed that there were to be no more prophecies about mates, dates, or babies. My first thought upon hearing this was, "I wonder why our language doesn't have a word for human infants that rhymes with mates or dates?"

Sprates, perhaps? or Quates? or Flates? Something that rhymed a little more with the first two-thirds of The Trilogy of Forbidden Prophecies (tm) would have been nice.

I will probably never know if this particular Isaiah exists, but if he does I think he should help us coin a new -ates word for young humans. ;)

2 comments:

Tammy said...

your creativity with words never stops surprising me!

Lydia said...

Thank you. :)