Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Father Abraham...

When I was a preschooler, my Sunday School class sang a song/chant with something akin to these lyrics:

Father Abraham had many sons
Many sons had Father Abraham
I am one of them
And so are you
So, let's just praise the Lord!

Believe it or not, these were  just about all of the lyrics to the song/chant (assuming that my memory is correct.)  The first time we sang the song, everyone was expected to stand as still as possible. During the next round of "Father Abraham," one of the Sunday School teachers would say something like "Right Arm!" we would begin to move the corresponding limb. Eventually, we'd be marching our feet and swinging both arms in rhythm to the beat of the song.

These days, I read the lyrics and wonder: "Why couldn't we ever have been the kids of Abraham instead?" I'm not the son of Jim, after all. Or, if I am, he's never told me about  that little detail. ;) I'm his daughter. Or, sometimes, one of his "kids" if he's talking about all of us.

I think I liked the song so much back then because it required so much physical activity. (Most) kids love that sort of thing, especially when they get to do it instead of sitting still in church. I don't remember finding the word choice odd at all. Then again, I was four at the time.

No comments: