Saturday, June 7, 2008

On Being the Last to Leave

One routine I really don't miss from my days as a PK has to do with hours we spent at Church each week. During the average week, our family was the first to arrive at Church and the last ones to leave it every time there was a service or special event that required our attendance. Given that my parents* were in positions of leadership, this generally meant that we attended just about everything. ;)

A deep disquiet permeates the walls of a church in the hours before and after a meeting. I didn't and don't believe in ghosts in the traditional, "souls of the dead" sort of way, but I do remember walking laps down deserted hallways with goosebumps prickling up my arms long after the foyer had hemorrhaged the majority of our people. Sometimes I would get an eerie impression that there was someone or something silently afoot behind me, only to whip around and see...nothing at all.

It was probably just my imagination running away from me. (I would have said that it was running away with me, but  I've always been one live out the "what-ifs" in my head, to spin a story out of belly button lint and a prayer. )

And, of course, there was also the sheer boredom that comes with spending hours in a building devoid of books that aren't the Bible. Or commentaries on the Bible.  ;)

But, still. I do not miss those days.

*Technically only my Dad was on the payroll at most of our churches, but by virtue of being the Preacher's wife Mom did end up doing quite a bit of volunteer work behind the scenes.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had the same feelings in those halls.
J

Jim Schoch said...

so glad to be done with those days ... and so glad my 3 kids did not pursue anything to do with the church ... so sorry for such fckn foolishness of my own doing , love dad with many regrets

The Preacher's Kid said...

I thought I was the only one who sensed strange stuff there. How weird.

And no guilt, Dad. We've all turned out ok, I think. :)

Tammy said...

i think of it more as a life stage, than as a totally bad thing.

this is one way that mr. shok and i differ.

Anonymous said...

My kids surely understand where you are coming from. We were one salary, 8 employees.

When we moved to Michigan to pastor a Southern Baptist Church our three oldest children remained behind. One son stopped going to Church and the other two joined a large Church. No surprise. Tired of being PK's Tired of being the defacto work crew for all jobs. Tired of being at Church 6-8 hours on Sunday. They found a Church where they could just blend in with nothing being required of them.

PK's ..........it is a wonder any of them stay in Church or believe in God . I would NEVER put my family through that again.

Bruce

The Preacher's Kid said...

Do you still attend any church services, Bruce?