Saturday, June 21, 2008

Getting Saved in Ohio

I was about 4 years old. My parents, good Charismatics that they were, must have been talking with me about the importance of getting saved. I don't remember any specific conversations, only that I prayed something similar to the "sinner's prayer" several times but it never felt like it quite stuck. There was a sense of urgency in my later prayers, as everyone knew that Jesus was coming back soon---maybe even tonight!---and I was a little worried that I'd be separated from my parents if he arrived before I had a sticky prayer.

I don't remember anything else about Vacation Bible School that summer, but I do remember the alter call that one of the church leaders gave one night. I listened to his words carefully and decided that I should respond to the alter call and get saved one more time. The VBS leaders took all of the children who had decided to get saved to a separate room where adults prayed with us and told us to ask Jesus into our hearts. The person who prayed with me was a man who was wearing shorts that evening. He sat with his legs sprawled apart (although I didn't see anything that was even close to being inappropriate, and he was a very nice, non-threatening grown-up overall), and I remember think that it wasn't a very respectful thing to do in church. Especially when one is trying to do something as important as getting saved before the End Times. ;)

So, how did you "get saved"?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

so was that a sticky prayer or are you still like teflon?

Tammy said...

you tell such great stories.

i was 11 and quite convinced of my sin. after i stood up in church during the altar call time, i felt a physical weight lift from my shoulders.

to this day, when i am stressed my shoulders are tight and heavy, and when i am relaxed my shoulders are light. it's my internal stress meter, and it was working for things eternal at the age of 11. :D

Jim Schoch said...

after a sundayschool talked about an age of accountability i asked my mom if i was accountable yet ... i guess i was so i prayed by my bed with her ... then i went forward at a youth for christ thing and prayed with a group in a side room ... it was the thing to do for the culture i was a part of so i joined ... life is funny that way ... ya cant seperate culture from the God experience ... was i saved then? dont know if i was ever lost ... but thats what i did then ... love Dad

Elizabeth said...

when did i get saved?

2000 good years ago.

i was baptized on april 14th 1989 by Monsignor Dorney in St Margaret Mary's Roman Catholic Church in Staten Island New York.

My mother said it was quite similar to the beginning of the lion king

The Preacher's Kid said...

Lol, what did she mean by that?