Monday, April 5, 2010

United Church of Non-Theists?

A few months ago I mentioned that I miss singing in church. The other night, while visiting with family members, I wondered what church for non-Theists would look like if it had a reason to exist.

There would be a communal meal, of course. Tables piled full of everything from vegan macaroni and cheese to fruit salad to Buckeyes to steak. All of which was prepared in clean kitchens and properly cooked and refrigerated before the meal began.

There would be what I used to refer to as fellowship, too. Laughter. Stories whether happy or sad. Small children crawling onto the laps of the closest grownup and listening to us talk about philosophy or ethics or whether it was the chicken or the egg that really came first. Coffee and tea. Some people slipping off into the dining room to play card games. Second-or-morehand bits of news from those who have moved away and married, had a new baby, wrote a book, finished chemo.

I can have all of these things without any sort of church experience, of course. There's nothing to stop me from having a potluck dinner or spending a secular evening chewing the fat with old friends. So why do I still miss the religious versions of these things?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

when we do things long enough they are deeply ingrained in us. They become such a part of us that it very hard to break away from them.

We remember and latch on the good things we experienced. (like singing).

Maybe we should start a new denomination. :)

Bruce

teresaS said...

I wonder what it would be called? There are many things I miss, but just as many that I don't! It reminds me of the Dr. Doolittle "push-me-pull-me". Do you remember that animal?

I wonder how long it would take a new denomination to become the same old same old?

Anonymous said...

not long,teresa.

Humans love to organize. Once we organize we begin to exclude.

But, it would be fun to try.

Bruce

The Preacher's Kid said...

Good point, Bruce. I think you're onto something there. If only I knew how to un-latch. (or at least un-yearn.)

Teresa, from what I've seen it happens almost as soon as the group comes together. It's very subtle at first but can grow much more exclusionary over time.

I'm sure there are exceptions out there, though! :)

Tammy said...

I love your link to the clean kitchen blog post. I have eaten at many church dinners. Now I am a little worried about what I ingested!

The Preacher's Kid said...

My thoughts exactly. :O