Last month we went to Arizona for a vacation, family reunion, and my aunt's wedding all rolled up into one week of activity. We arrived on a Friday. I knew my grandparents and great-aunts would be attending church that Sunday and decided to go with them. It had been a year or two since I had attended a church service, and while I didn't miss the experience it didn't bother me to sit and observe some Mennonite customs and traditions for an hour or two.
The sense of longing I felt as I sang Christmas hymns with the rest of the congregation surprised me. I no longer agree with the theology of those songs - if I ever even did - but there is a part of me that misses singing in church. I do not know why this is, only that there is a part of me tucked away in some deep nook or cranny that still feels very much at home in that setting.
I live happily without sermons. I would not suffer one iota if religion and theology ceased to be a topic of conversation at family reunions from this moment forward. I do not miss Sunday School, evangelization, Contemporary Christian music, or the plethora of flowery,pastel books that teach Christian women how their lives and relationships ought to be organized.
But this I do miss.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
I'm with ya' on this one! Something about singing in church; but only hymns... I hate singing contemporary Christian music.
I agree :D Singing is the only part that I miss, although I don't mind the contemporary worship songs.....I just like the singing part of church....and that is all I have really ever liked. I don't recall a single sermon that I have heard. But I do remember the music.
Any old songs Christian or otherwise can pop into my head at any moment. I don't miss singing in church, but I do sing those songs myself sometimes.
Your brother Aaron said that he really enjoyed the hymns we sang at Jackie and Brandon's wedding.
Something about the music .... I agree.
(and I don't really know how this works, but it's cool that you blogged about my skribit idea ... at least the email notification said that you did! ha ha ha)
I thought I was the only one! :)
I didn't know that skribit could notify you when I used your suggestions, mom, but I'm glad that they did.
I miss the music of church a lot. I like it all..any kind...although I agree that I don't always agree with the 'theology' of some of it...hymns and contemporary alike! BUT, music touches the soul and that's why we all like it!
Too bad preachers don't GET that and come up with msgs that would 'touch our soul'!! I don't miss the sermons either, but I DO miss the music.
It's really the ONLY reason I am still conflicted about not going to church.
"tis a gift to be simple, tis a gift to be free, tis a gift to come down where we ought to be, and when we find ourselves in the place just right, we'll be in the valley of love and delight"...
I've always thought the Quakers knew something that I didn't when I heard that song-a Quaker hymn-But I think that the joy some of you experienced at Jackie's wedding; singing the hymns with close friends and family, out in nature, was because you were in the 'place just right' and you were just enjoying the simplicity of love and life. Now THAT is church to me!!!(sorry this is so long....you can now stand for the benediction!lol)
I miss the music of church a lot. I like it all..any kind...although I agree that I don't always agree with the 'theology' of some of it...hymns and contemporary alike! BUT, music touches the soul and that's why we all like it!
Too bad preachers don't GET that and come up with msgs that would 'touch our soul'!! I don't miss the sermons either, but I DO miss the music.
It's really the ONLY reason I am still conflicted about not going to church.
"tis a gift to be simple, tis a gift to be free, tis a gift to come down where we ought to be, and when we find ourselves in the place just right, we'll be in the valley of love and delight"...
I've always thought the Quakers knew something that I didn't when I heard that song-a Quaker hymn-But I think that the joy some of you experienced at Jackie's wedding; singing the hymns with close friends and family, out in nature, was because you were in the 'place just right' and you were just enjoying the simplicity of love and life. Now THAT is church to me!!!(sorry this is so long....you can now stand for the benediction!lol)
I miss the music of church a lot. I like it all..any kind...although I agree that I don't always agree with the 'theology' of some of it...hymns and contemporary alike! BUT, music touches the soul and that's why we all like it!
Too bad preachers don't GET that and come up with msgs that would 'touch our soul'!! I don't miss the sermons either, but I DO miss the music.
It's really the ONLY reason I am still conflicted about not going to church.
"tis a gift to be simple, tis a gift to be free, tis a gift to come down where we ought to be, and when we find ourselves in the place just right, we'll be in the valley of love and delight"...
I've always thought the Quakers knew something that I didn't when I heard that song-a Quaker hymn-But I think that the joy some of you experienced at Jackie's wedding; singing the hymns with close friends and family, out in nature, was because you were in the 'place just right' and you were just enjoying the simplicity of love and life. Now THAT is church to me!!!(sorry this is so long....you can now stand for the benediction!lol)
SO SORRY LYDIA! I thought my computer wasn't working and didn't send the msg so I kept sending it...now there are THREE of them! I'm dooomed to be impatent!
Don't worry about it. :)
Post a Comment