
The subject matter doesn't make much of a difference. Anything that polarizes people, that can be used to make someone feel righteous or ashamed about their choices in life is prime fodder for a whirlwind of evangelism Sometimes to oftentimes I even agree with the core of what the person is saying about that particular issue.
What I strongly disagree with, though, is the sticky idea that we have the answer. That our group (regardless of the type of group or of how much good they are doing in the world) has the corner on being right, and if we can just get those [selfish/ignorant/overeducated/secular/religious/rightwing/leftwing] people over there to agree with us everyone's lives would be so much better. It's easy to fall into this line of thinking. I know I've been guilty of it.
I'm not a Buddhist, but I really resonate with these quotes that are attributed to Buddha:
Hatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love; this is the eternal rule.and
He who experiences the unity of life sees his own Self in all beings, and all beings in his own Self, and looks on everything with an impartial eye.and
In the sky, there is no distinction of east and west; people create distinctions out of their own minds and then believe them to be true.Teresa, I wrote all of this in response to your skribit question about what I like about people as well as what my pet peeves are about them. I will answer the other part of your question in two days.
(Photo credit.)
7 comments:
People definitely want to sway others to their own beliefs and preferences, we like the validation and security it provides. Do you like creamed dried beef on toast? No? You are *crazy*, I *love* the stuff!!!
Leaving Evangelicalism I became rabidly committed to the idea that people have a right to think for themselves and to make their own decisions in life, attributes I saw too little of in the church (yes, I know not all Christianity and even not all evangelicalism is that way).
So I feel like a fundamentalist in that regard -- I am not willing to shift from what I see as important and feel a strong desire to evangelize for that perspective. I am not afraid to be a fundamentalist in that regard, but sometimes fear other people will think I am wrong to do so.
What a great article. I especially like the quotes you used. I have never thought of the word evangelism in the broad sense but it is true.
I have always been open to diversity, but it hasn't always been acceptable to some of our christian friends.
We all tend to think that others should experience what we do, especially when it's something that makes us happy or feel good...such as eating a particular dish.
Love and acceptance...that's what I want from others..so I try to give it out!
"I became rabidly committed to the idea that people have a right to think for themselves and to make their own decisions in life"
I really like this, atimetorend.
"Love and acceptance...that's what I want from others..so I try to give it out!"
Exactly! It definitely isn't easy sometimes (especially when you're around someone who doesn't exude love and acceptance back to you). But I'm slowly working on it.
Lydia - the picture of the spider web reminded me of the thought/dream you had in junior high about the cave and the spider webs and the people who were frozen.
that would make a good post sometime, perhaps? (I should have used skribit ...)
I will write about it next month. I have posts and ideas for posts lined for up for the next few weeks, but it will happen eventually!
no rush ... let the creative process work in its own good time!
Post a Comment