Thursday, January 21, 2010

Voluntary Simplicity

Teresa asked recently what I meant when I said that I live a simple life. The best way I can think to describe it is that I have no interest in keeping up with the Jones or living a fast-paced lifestyle.

I don't have much of an interest in acquiring more stuff. There are a few things from my childhood that mean a lot to me, all of which could easily fit into one cardboard box should we ever move - my baby book, two photo albums, a few old dresses my grandmother made for me, my high school yearbooks.

 I value having as much time as possible to think, to write, to read, to cultivate strong relationships with friends and family.  I don't care to own a car or house or to keep up with the latest fashions (with the possible exception of technology - I do have a soft spot for shiny new cell phones and laptops. :) )  Doing something just because it's what everyone else is doing doesn't make any sense to me. I believe  in working hard at whatever profession one may find themselves in, but I do not believe that work is suppose to give us a sense of meaning or purpose in life.  In short, I'm not motivated by many of the things that motivate most other people.

I'm working on a few new blog posts. They should begin to show up in the next week or so. In the meantime, you can read more about simple living here.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Simplicity . I strive for it yet fail so often.

I am driven between two poles......to be a wandering nomad and Bill Gates:)

I love the quiet moment. The look. The touch. The sunrise, the sunset. The laugh. A good book. A chair in the yard on a summer eve.

Yet.......I too covet the trinkets of the material age. Technology often becomes my god.

We are cursed and blessed.

Bruce

teresaS said...

Thanks Lydia.
I also loved Bruce's words.
I love simple living. I'm always looking for ways to simplyfy even more!

teresaS said...

Thank you so much for the link on simplicity!! It's really great!!

Tammy said...

http://www.simpleliving.net/discussionforums/

Theresa - that link is to the discussion forums. I check that out at least once a week.

The Preacher's Kid said...

I agree, Bruce. But at least we're aware of our faults in this regard.

Teresa, you're welcome! It's a very interesting site. I take some of their advice with a grain of salt. Simplicity is a means to an end for me - I live simply so that I have the time and money to do what I really love (and for environmental reasons, too), not so much for the sake of simplicity in and of itself.

It has a ton of great resources, though, on everything from finances to decluttering to learning how to grow/fix/knit/carve your own stuff.