Saturday, February 7, 2009

Lost, Part II

A conversation with Mom today reminded about another lost child.

I don't know how old Aaron was when this story took place, but he was old enough to walk around without assistance so I was probably about 6 years old. It was a warm day, although I don't remember it being August-hot.

We were visiting some family friends who lived in a rather rural area. I remember playing outside with their daughter, the sun kissing my face. The breeze blowing through my hair.

 Suddenly, Mom said that she couldn't find Aaron. Everyone began to search for him, adults and children alike. (In our conversation today, Mom said that the house we were visiting was near a highway and that she was terrified that he'd somehow toddled all the way out there.)

He wasn't anywhere to be found. I have a very vague memory of looking under bushes for him, half-expecting to find him hiding or something. I don't know if it's a real memory, though, or if it's even connected to this day.

I don't remember who found him, but apparently he had wandered off to a neighbor's yard. This neighbor had two dogs chained up. There was a slender grass path between them just beyond where either dog could reach even when they pulled their chains taut. Aaron stood there, young and frightened and not knowing what to do. He was crying, but he was ok.

Thank God he was ok.

3 comments:

Tammy said...

i think our conversation out in the yard was about a child who had been hit by a car, just before we realized that Aaron was missing. that was the most scared I remember being, as a mom.

the dogs weren't all that pleasant either, but they never touched Aaron. I don't even remember that he cried. I'll have to ask him if he has any memory of this.

The Preacher's Kid said...

I could be wrong about the crying.

It was a long time ago. :)

Aaron said...

I don't have any memory of this....But those dogs are lucky I didn't show em who's boss.