Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Lost, Part III

It was the early 1990s and we were living in a trailer park in Laramie, Wyoming, which was located in a little valley nestled among the Rocky Mountains. Lately, that valley had been attracting more than it's share of tornadoes. One of them had touched down just a mile or so from our trailer park.

I think that Dad had taken our only car to work that day. At any rate, when the tornadoes came we had no access to a basement or other underground safe place. Staying in our trailer would have been even worse than venturing outside. We probably would have rattled around in it like marbles in an old tin can. And these marbles had a skeletal system and many necessary internal organs.

There was a ditch a few hundred feet - maybe a little more, maybe a little less - from our front door. Mom was holding Aaron. I was holding Jesse's hand. We all were running. When we reached the ditch, Mom said, we were all going to lie down together until the storm has passed.

She didn't say what we'd do if the storm didn't pass. or what we'd do if it passed right over us. I wasn't sure if I was strong enough to hold onto the land if the air decided to suck me up into it. And if I wasn't strong enough, how could my little brothers hang on?

Luckily, it didn't come to that. The tornados turned away from us. No one was sucked up into anything. And the next time the tornadoes came, we had enough time to go to a friend's house. He lived in a basement apartment. Which, as we all know, is the kryptonite of tornadoes.




2 comments:

Aaron said...

I remember going to Huff's basement..It was kind of exciting.

Tammy said...

i think Rita, our neighbor, drove us there in her car, cause Dad was at work again that night. and we took the hamster along and put him in a box at Huff's house. and then he chewed his way out of the box and we had to find him. which could the storyline for Lost IV. :D