Thursday, February 19, 2009

Lost, Part IV

This story happened after some time after the tornado incident I referenced in my last post. I was probably about 8 years old at the time.

Mom was out of the house. I don't know where, exactly, although it seems like she was on an errand of some sort. Maybe she was speaking with our landlord?

At any rate, a siren went off while she was away. I interpreted it to be the siren that went off when a tornado was spotted, and believed that I only had minutes to get to safety before the tornadoes came again. And I couldn't find Mom anywhere.

I panicked. I'd run around looking for her for a minute, crying,  and then I'd look up at the sky to see if I could spot the tornado. I didn't see anything. There were a few clouds in the sky, but none of them were angrily grey and the wind wasn't metallic,  sour or musty the way it was during most other bad storms.

I don't remember how she found me, only that she did. I stopped crying. The tornadoes didn't come that day. All was well.


4 comments:

Tammy said...

I do remember this, but barely. It was quite traumatic for you that summer, with the 2 tornadoes and the multiple warnings.

The Preacher's Kid said...

Yeah, it was a rough couple of months for me there. :)

Tammy said...

Lydia - a tornado was almost on the ground 3 days ago, on the north side of Defiance by the Meijer store. It had touched down in the farm area west of here also. When I heard the sirens and got the news report, I called Jesse. But he just kept working in his garage in the alley. He thought he had plenty of time to get in the house if he spotted it. ah-h-h-h!

The Preacher's Kid said...

Ugh!

SIlly boy. :)