In the early 1990s I attended AWANA, a Brethren youth program, for a year or two. We sang songs about Sparky (the program mascot), played games, memorized Bible verses and earned jewels in our crowns. The crown was plastic and brown, just large enough to fit into the palm of an eight-year-old. The jewels, also plastic, were yellow, green, red and purple. I never did earn enough of them to fill up my crown.
Shortly into the second year I grew tired of the program so Mom stopped sending me. We packed away my Spark vest and for many years I thought little of it. At age 20 I met Drew, at 21 we began officially dating and I married him a year later. A few years after the wedding one of our conversations somehow meandered onto the topic of AWANA.
"It was this weekly Bible-memorizing club thing," I began to explain.
He said, "yeah, that's a Brethren program. I was in that program, too." We didn't attend the same program at the same time, of course. He's several years older than me and we grew up in different countries. But I never thought he'd know anything about that program. I didn't even realize it was Brethren and the Brethren community is so well-connected that I wonder if some of the kids or adults involved in that program in Laramie might have known someone in Toronto back then who knew Drew's family.
It's entirely possible. A few years ago while we were traveling back from visiting my family in the States Drew struck up a conversation with a woman sitting in front of us on the bus. She was from Ottawa and a few minutes into the conversation Drew realized that a) they had an amazing number of friends in common and b) they had both attended the same Brethren church as children. They were probably childhood playmates.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
That reminds me of when I recently told a co-worker about mom and dad meeting a singer in Phoenix that performed at some sort of street festival. This singer ended up being from northwest ohio and my co-worker let the singer live with him for a few years when he first moved out west.....
those little jewels on your crown ... you earned one that you never received because they forgot to give it to you. i think you actually had earned them all but never got the last one.
this brethren program was managed by one of the local baptist churches. interesting ...
and ... i think i have a picture of you and your brothers with your vests on. :D
OH..you should find the photo and post it! In our family we always say 'no matter where you go you will always find someone from Archbold'..because so many times we will be travelin and run into someone from home! It just proves, really, how small our world is!
My brother, Lamont and niece Cara are all the time telling me I'm earing 'jewels in my crown' when I share stories from the nursing home and my mom who lives there! I go visit her every week and it's always a story! hehe
Love your stories Lydia!
I was an AWANA Commander along with my husband. It was the best of times. It was the worst of times. I rarely if ever mention this but when I read your post I decided to come-out-of-the-closet. :-)
I usually don't say anything because I don't want to be identified.
At one point we were considering being full-time AWANA missionaries. Lots of stories. Had our pictures taken with Art Rorheim (co-founder) and talked with him at an International Missions Conference in Chicago.
I don't say much but I read and like your stories too. :-)
I agree with Teresa - we need to find that picture! :D
Thank you, Zoe.
i think its in a photo album. pretty sure its not digital yet. it might be in your photo album, Lydia. look in the one that covers 1990-1994, and let me know if you find it. i'll take a look in mine too ...
I can't find the pic - I think it's in one of the kids' books. Jesse and Aaron -- are you listening?? Go see if you have this picture ...
Post a Comment