What did you like least about being a preacher's kid?
I don't really have too many feelings about it being a particularly positive or negative experience. I really enjoyed playing drums on a weekly basis. That is definitely something that I miss. I don't miss all the weirdos wanting to talk to me after service about how I like school and what kind of music I listen to. I'm sure most of them had good intentions but when you are 12 years old you really don't want a religious grandma asking you what kind of music you like especially when you tell her Tupac and she says "oh thats nice" because she has no clue. But I think Dad quit doing the church thing when I was still young enough for it to not really have an impact on me. I know you have some pretty strong feelings about the whole experience. I don't know if our personalities played a role in that at all or if the age difference was the major factor? I can see myself rebelling though if Dad did decide to stay in that "profession" for too much longer.
Do you keep in touch with many of the people with whom you/we went to church?
I can't think of a single person that I keep in contact with from church. I went to youth group with Joe for a little while in high school but I dont know how much that counts since I met him outside of church, I was only there because it meant I could sit by Jen, and I don't think either of us go there anymore. Even farther than your question goes, there aren't many people that I would like to stay in contact with. There are the select few that I really enjoyed, like Nancy M. and her family, but I don't really feel the urge to see how they are doing on any sort of a regular basis.
What have you taught your son about religion?
(Photo credit - thanks, Jeni!)

6 comments:
This was such fun to read. The part that cracked me up was the comment about the grandma asking you about the music you like...that could have actually been me...except I knew who tupac was!! lol
That pic of the three of you is adorable. YOu are a gorgeous family. I think you are very right in your comment that if your dad had stayed in that professoin longer it may have effected you more. I see it in our kids. We made so many mistakes...that whole stinking thing of PKs having to be so much 'better' than any other kids!
We adults have our own issues to work through after coming out from that profession. It's sad when it has to effect our kids in a negative way! Glad you guys seem to have your heads on straight.
you two are super parents. I'm proud of you.
"The part that cracked me up was the comment about the grandma asking you about the music you like...that could have actually been me...except I knew who tupac was!! "
When you read it, did you hear it through Jesse's voice? I could hear just how he'd tell that story, and it made it even funnier.
Yes, I would say that made it funnier. I think I even heard it as a 12 yr old saying it! I mean, can't you just see it? And his description was just so funny. I loved reading it!!
Whats a tupac?
Fred! I'm 99% sure you are joking ... ?
Post a Comment