Sunday, March 21, 2010

Gumdrops and Lollipops?

This morning I've been attempting to recall a Sunday School song I learned in the 1980s that compared various types of candy to the love of God. It was one of my favourite church songs as a preschooler. The imagery often made me feel hungry. (Although I'm sure that wasn't the  message I was suppose to take away from this song. ;) )

I'm pretty sure that gumdrops were referenced in the lyrics; lollipops and chocolate feel like they belong there as well.

Unfortunately, I no longer recall the tune or the rest of the lyrics. Does anyone recognize this song?

(Photo credit.)

12 comments:

Jim Schoch said...

Yes I rember ...

The Preacher's Kid said...

Heh, good. Can you tell me the name of the song or more of the lyrics? :)

Jim Schoch said...

Apple red happiness gum drop holiday! Cinnamon singing inside!
Peppermint energy, gumdrop holidays,
when you give Christ your life.
The benefits of God's great love are super-satisfying.
Throw away your sin, let God's love shine in
Try and you will see that He gives .... Apple red happiness ...

The Preacher's Kid said...

Yes! That's the one.

And I solemnly swear that I will never sing it in your presence. ;)

Tammy said...

I tried to comment - and it disappeared. here it is again, and I hope it's not a double post --

You were about 6 when we learned that song at Charleston Mennonite Fellowship. We then sang it for a few more years in Ohio and Wyoming.

Do you remember the tune, now that you heard the words? I'm fascinated by how our brains and memories work. There were no lollipops or chocolate, but there were many flavors mentioned. Interesting!

Tammy said...

(and now I know why Jim asked me about this song yesterday ... it just seemed like a random question at the time ...)

Tammy said...

Jim -- your first gumdrop holiday should be popcorn cheerfulness. we forgot one sweet treat in there ...

The Preacher's Kid said...

"Do you remember the tune, now that you heard the words?"

Yes!

Tammy said...

you know, this song might be one of those that is on that CD we made a few years ago -- from the old video tapes we had from your childhoods. I think Jesse is singing this song while Dad plays guitar ...

Anonymous said...

This is a totally hilarious string of comments! I thought I new ALL songs! lol But, that is one I have never heard of. It sounds kind of stupid..sorry. Anyway..I agree with Tammy that memories are sometimes very fascinating..what brings them up out of the mire of our minds after so many years.
It's funny that you can remember the tune, too, Lydia! AND that you guys may even have it on a CD??? I didn't know your family were recording artists!!!!
This stirs my memory for all kinds of childhood songs...some that I would like to forget!!

The Preacher's Kid said...

"But, that is one I have never heard of."

It was a silly song. But the next time I come to Ohio, I will sing it for you. (unless Shok is around.) :P

"what brings them up out of the mire of our minds after so many years. "

I wish I knew. That would be a fascinating scientific study, I think.

Tammy said...

i meant DVD. of old family movies. not CD. all these new round little discs with different names ... i can't handle it!!! :D