I wonder if this has taught him to better recognize others who also will not necessarily play the tunes that have been assigned to them?
"Maybe it's because you are a preacher's kid," he said, "but I think of you as very good." I laughed, not quite sure what to say in that moment. It isn't that I think of myself as morally degenerate, I just have come to think of being good as shorthand for one who attends church, one who is happy living out the traditions roles assigned to them based upon gender and age, one who doesn't desire any life outside of the Christian bubble.
I realize that this isn't a standard definition of the word "good," but these sorts of images are the first things to pop into my head when someone else decides that I'm incorrigibly admirable. Have you created your own definitions of otherwise innocuous words or phrases?
Photo Credit
2 comments:
Well, PK, this post really moved me! That first paragraph was so intuitive and felt like you were writing about MY life! ...playing the tune they want to hear not necessarily the one his fingers know how to play! SO poetic and yet so true.
I've felt that that could pretty much sum up my life! It just feels so 'right' to be able to play the music that makes me sing!! Being brought up in the church and in a conservative environment/family, tends to influence your thinking in more ways than you realize...and not always in a good way!?
Being free to let the music play itself is where I want to stay!!
Thank you.
Sorry for the delay in responding to you - I've been fighting off a relentless bug for the past couple of weeks. Feeling better now, though. :)
Post a Comment