Saturday, October 17, 2009

Mangoes and Jesus


I don't remember if this happened in the late 1990s or the early 2000s, but when Jesse was a teenager he attended a local church that was predominately Hispanic.

I accompanied him to one, maybe two services, but to be honest I was at a point in my life then when organized religion had worn me so threadbare that I was beginning to patch the patches in my spirituality. I was so tired.

Jesse really liked their services, though. He loved the food that was sometimes served as well. One day he came home from that church talking about a new fruit that he had just tried and really liked. It's sort of embarrassing to admit this, but none of us kids knew what a mango was before Jesse tried one at that church. Most of the time, we ate the types of fruit Mom could buy in a bag - apples, oranges, bananas. We branched out to the various melons and berries when they were in season, too. Just no mangoes until Jesse came home praising them one day.

Then Mom (or someone?) bought a few so we could all give them a try. I pronounced them delicious, rather hard to peel and the last type of fruit in the world that I'd ever have the chance to try.

And then I turned 24 and discovered Star Fruit! ;)

(Photo Credits.)

5 comments:

Laura Gerencser said...

Oh! I love starfruit! I haven't had any in awhile though:(

Laura Gerencser said...

Great picture, BTW!:)

The Preacher's Kid said...

Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Your blogs are soooo stinkin much fun to read! I was so excited to see several new entries!!

I love the picture with this one as well. How interesting that Jesse went to a Hispanic church? When I was in grade school my parents were 'missionaries' sent out from Pine Grove Menn. church to help start the first Spanish Menn. church in Defiance! The best part was always the dinners they had ever sunday after services...chicken and mole'!!!! omg...so good. And yes, they ate a lot of mangoes!!
I haven't tried star fruit yet, but they sure 'look' pretty! :)

The Preacher's Kid said...

I think Jesse started going to the Hispanic church shortly before the church our parents were pastoring shut down? There weren't very many teens at our church at that point.

You should try star fruit one day. It's an interesting flavour.