I would never have thought to ask that question when I was a PK.
Of course having so much alcohol that one became drunk was a sin. Many of the adults I loved and trusted thought drinking even moderate, non-behavior-influencing amounts of alcohol was a sin. My parents may have agreed with the latter point of view at one point, but by the time I became a teenager they were known for having the occasional drink. Sometimes, I got a little, too. Which, as soon as I realized how unappetizing most alcoholic beverages taste, did quite a bit to evaporate even the smallest inkling of any desire to repeat that experiment while
not under parental supervision.
At a birthday party recently, though, I came back to this question as I watched my table mates become increasingly, er, entertaining as the night wore on and they ordered round after round of mixed drinks. They were just a little boisterous. They were slightly unsteady on their feet, especially for those who were wearing heels. They were spending a great deal of money for these side effects.
But I cannot say I ever saw an ounce of sin swirling around in our glasses or clinging to our clothing as if it were the scent of stale smoke, old broccoli or of slightly overcooked fish. It was just a celebration. No more, no less.
6 comments:
"did quite a bit to evaporate even the smallest inkling of any desire to repeat that experiment while not under parental supervision"
my plan worked! :D
Indeed. :)
i never could figure this one out since Jesus himself turned water to wine?? Yeah, they all tried to say it was grape juice? Once again, interpreting the scriptures to suit your life choices.
anyway...was wishing as I read this that you could have been with all of us at the picnic today...sharing a brew. What fun!! I was remembering you and your brothers when you were little tikes!
That sounds like a lot of fun.
Drew and I do come to Ohio to visit the family about once a year. Maybe next time we could get together one night with you and your family, too? :)
I would love to get together with you. Your mom was reminding me of times that we babysat you...seems like eons of time ago!?
Cool. I will let you know once we figure out when we are coming to Ohio again. It probably won't be until next summer, though,....unless I win the lottery. ;)
Post a Comment