I bought a package of Certs a while ago. As soon as I popped the first mint into my mouth I was once again a little girl awaiting her mints. Dad used to buy this brand of mint for us every so often at the church bookstore of the first church I can remember him pastoring.
The world was a bigger place then. I was too small to see more than the first few ledges of various trinkets and treats at the church bookstore. Each package of mints seemed never-ending, yet we somehow managed to savour (or chew on the impatient days) our way through them so quickly in retrospect.
Interestingly enough, I don't remember actually eating the mints in church (although I suspect we did whenever the service ran late and Mom or Dad needed some mint-flavoured quiet to tide us over before lunch.) The anticipation, though, still shivers through me every time I purchase another tube of mints and relive my childhood for a few minutes.
Saturday, February 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I always liked the Lion Mints, I think it was.
I think this is the thing I remember:
http://www.lionmints.net/
I don't remember seeing these as a kid, but later when I was married Jim would buy these sometimes. They ones I remember were a soft spearmint favor, not harsh like peppermint.
You sure blog about interesting things, Lydia. I wish you had a LIKE button on your blog. :D
Oh yes, I remember eating Certs in church. I used to buy two packs every Sunday and eat both of them during church! I haven't had them in a long time. Great memories!
Lyida, your blogs are always entertaining. This one brings back memories to me. It's funny how something small .... like a mint...can bring bakc so many memories. I'm sitting here drinking a cup of tea and eating a molasses cookie...from my Grandma's recipe..and after reading this it made me think about all the times in her kitchen as she baked big, delicious, cookies...and I am once again... a little girl!!! Thanks for the magic!
I'd forgotten about Lion mints, Mom. Those were pretty good, too. If I ever figure out how to install a "like" button on my blog I'll do it just for you! :)
They're sadly not quite as good as I remembered them to be, Kimberly. But I definitely would have eaten a few packs a service, too, if I had been old enough to buy my own back then!
Thanks, Teresa. I've never had a molasses cookie before. Could I convince you to share your Grandmother's recipe with me? :)
Post a Comment