It's funny to think about what remains from my childhood.Growing up, we all knew the list of words that one was never suppose to say. I don't remember how I learned the words that were to never be spoken aloud, but at one point I did make a list of them to see how many I could commit to paper. I then hid the list in my room, ever so occasionally adding a new term to it. Eventually I threw it away, though, lest Mom discover it while she cleaned.
As an adult, I still hesitate with these words when I'm speaking. Sometimes, when a particular word is absolutely necessary to the conversation, I'll spell it instead of speaking it. "I feel like s-h-i-t today," or "changing how I do that task is such a pain in the a-s-s."
I do this even if I know that nobody within earshot cares if I cuss. Sometimes I will even do it even if I'm the only person around to hear it.
(Photo credit.)
11 comments:
Shoot this is a darn wonderful post. It is freaking awesome. Not like other posts that are full of crap.
:)
Just cussing Baptist style.
Good post. While I now cuss...I still have those moments of "oh you said a "bad" word"
Bruce
Then there's Mennonite swearing. I hadn't heard of Baptist swearing but we kid about Menno swearing..."dad gummit", "by crackie". Can't think of any others right now but I'm sure they'll come to me.
We weren't allowed to say gee whiz or call my mother 'mom'...or my father 'dad' only mother/father/mommy/daddy!!! We never said gosh either or risk soap in the mouth!!
Lydia you were daring to write them down and hide them. Wouldn't it be hilarious if your mom had that paper saved with all the other papers she's saved over the years!???
Thats a good post Lydia,
Danielle and I had a professor in Bible college that said you should not even use words that sound like a swear word like "gosh darn it" was just as bad as saying the real thing because God knows your heart and knows what your really thinking.
We always told our girls that its not the words that are bad but the perception of those who hear it and to try to respect those who might be offended. Home was always a safe place to let it fly.
i never found that paper! so it is not saved for posterity! that would be so funny if i had it ...
Wow, I'd forgotten all about the Christian cuss words. I do remember trying to get away with saying gosh once- Mom told me it still counted as a bad word.
I was so disappointed. :P
I do kind of wish that you had found that paper, Mom. It would be really interesting to see which words were on it.
i can't believe you wish that! :D
Yes, mostly because I know I'm too old to be retroactively grounded for writing down bad words.
(I hope. :P )
you never know! :D
it's odd to have adult kids. I'm still adjusting to it! I still expect you to roll your eyes at me when I say certain things. :D
I remember finding that list under your bed. I don't think I told anyone that I discovered it but I do remember worrying about it quite a bit. Guess I got over the idea of my sister 'rebelling.' Just thought i would let you know ten or so years later that I did find it and that was about the only time that I snooped through your room that I actually found something worth snooping for!
Jesse
That is too funny, Jesse.
I don't ever remember snooping in your room. Although maybe I've just forgotten doing so.
you guys are so funny! the things that we all thought and did, and never talked about until much later ... I love hearing about it now! if I heard too much back then I would have worried more. Now I can simply laugh at it!
Post a Comment