Thursday, August 6, 2009

VBS

15 years ago this summer I was attending our new church's vacation bible school. I don't actually remember most of that week, other than the Grade 5 and 6 class was overflowing with preteen boys (horror of horrors!), several of whom probably could have been diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder had their parents pursued it.

I also remember the candy Dad passed out at the end of each night. There were these sugary rope things that had some sort of cream filling. I think they were called Cow's Tails. Everyone loved them ...other than the local dentists, I suppose.

What sticks out the most to me about that week is how it was one of the last times I felt like myself for about a half-dozen years. We moved to Ohio during the summer between Grade 5 and Grade 6 for me, and Grade 6 was an extremely difficult year for me. Everything in my life changed and nearly all of it was for the worse. I was never formally diagnosed with anything, but looking back I see many signs of clinical depression (and also some sort of anxiety disorder, I think.)

Life did improve after I finished Grade 6, especially once I hit high school and was able to carve out more of what I thought my life should look like. But I didn't fully recuperate until I was 17, taking college courses for most of the day, and only attending high school for an hour or two in the afternoon.

I think about the girl that I was then, and I wonder what she would say had she known that so many hard years were ahead of her. I miss the innocence I still had at that age, and there are some things (e.g. at least looking into the idea of me being home-schooled or transferring to a different public school) that I'd insist upon if I woke up tomorrow and was eleven again. But those years are also part of my history. I wouldn't be the same person without them....which can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on how much one values Agnosticism or stubbornness in a person. ;)

3 comments:

Tammy said...

very nicely written. i remember the picture of you on the goofy dress up day - i think it was part of that VBS. everyone was supposed to dress in unmatched clothing. you had a good time with that!

Aaron said...

i remember dad giving away cream soda and root beer to the kids. that was pretty cool.

The Preacher's Kid said...

Thanks, Mom.

I'd forgotten about the cream soda, Aaron. That was a huge hit!