Saturday, May 9, 2009

Taking a Peek

I have another secret for you.

Every once in a while, our family gathers together around the dining table at my grandparents' house.

Before we can eat lunch or supper, though, we must pray. Sometimes it's a silent prayer, a "patty's nuna." Sometimes Grandpa or Dad or whomever is the oldest (and male-est) member of the family prays out loud.

When the prayers are out-loud (and sometimes even when they aren't), I peek. Everyone else's eyes are closed and, for a few moments, I watch expressions flitter across their faces. When the prayers sound as if they're reaching the natural end of their lifespan, I close my eyes.

But I always peek first. So far, I don't think anyone has ever caught me. ;)


6 comments:

Jim Schoch said...

u r just being scriptural girl ... the bible says we are to "Watch and Pray" ;)

Tammy said...

i love it! i think you did this as a little kid too. :D

The Preacher's Kid said...

Heh, I might have done it when I was very young, too. I don't quite remember.

What verse are you referencing, Dad?

Tammy said...

"watch and pray" is in there somewhere ... maybe the letters of Paul?

Fred said...

That brought back a memory from the early '60. My sister and I were having a sleepover at the Schoch's in Yaphank and during breakfast Aunt Mildred reprimanded me for keeping my eyes open while we prayed. I always kept my eyes open during meal prayers as I got older believing God was still there when I watched.

The Preacher's Kid said...

Thanks for the story, Fred. I was so young when she died that I really appreciate hearing more about what Grandma Schoch was like. :)