Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Lost and the Found: Part Two

Once, I was Found. And then I found something else. The Found call me Lost. The Lost call me Lydia.

I used to have a set of unshakable beliefs. I used to have answers - or, if I didn't have answers, I knew which questions could lead to the Truth. I never knew the entire set of questions or answers, but I knew enough.

The most surprising thing to me is how little life among the Lost differs from life among the Found who are in similar social and economic circumstances. I had been taught that being Found conferred certain advantages over being Lost, that the life of the Found was just a little more bearable than usual.

I do not doubt that the structure of organized religion brings a sense of security and a rewarding life purpose for the Found.

But there are many of us who thrive outside of this institution. To be honest, I think the daily lives of the vast majority of people are far more affected (for better or for worse) by their socioeconomic class and physical and mental health than they are by religion.


2 comments:

Temaskian said...

"To be honest, I think the daily lives of the vast majority of people are far more affected (for better or for worse) by their socioeconomic class and physical and mental health than they are by religion."

Well said, I totally agree.

The Preacher's Kid said...

Glad to hear I'm not the only one. :)