Saturday, December 6, 2008

Angel Eggs

Today Drew and I discussed what we should bring to his parents' house if they decide to have us over for a "holiday" dinner* this year.

"I know, I'll bring angel eggs," I said after considering (and rejecting) more labor-intensive dishes. Drew raised his eyebrows.

"What? That's what Mom always called them!" I replied. There was a time when she didn't feel spiritually comfortable referring to this dish as deviled eggs.

I don't remember the exact reasoning behind this re-naming any longer, although I think it had something to do with Mom not wanting us to dwell on dark matters or to reference the devil lightheartedly. And even though she eventually came to disagree with her old beliefs on this subject, we continue to eat angel, not deviled, eggs to this day.

 I was well into my teens before I realized both terms referred to the same dish.

*None of us celebrate Christmas in the secular sense of the term. Most years, we don't celebrate it in the religious sense either.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

In one Church i pastored we had a Dirt Devil vacuum. We put tape over the devil part and wrote angel.

The funny things we attach spiritual significance to.

Tammy said...

Yep - Bruce's story and mine have the same reasoning behind them. We had angel food cake and chocolate cake. never devil's good cake.

Jeni still laughs whenever i mention angel eggs. that was one phrase that stuck - i have to think a minute before i can remember the actual name for them. :D

Tammy said...

BTW - i made 2 batches of these in 3 days time over Christmas and now i won't do it again until another holiday. and i never thought of it as a christmas food, but as usual my introverted observant daughter sees more about me than i do. :D