My memories tell me that Dad* was praying with Jesse and I (Aaron was too young too talk) in the farmhouse we rented at the time. I listened to Dad ask God to give us these gifts and waited for something supernatural to flow through me, for my existence as an ordinary young girl to temporarily morph into something more spiritual, more profound. I waited for my lips to part not of my own will, for the language of God to pour from them as if it was my mother tongue.
It didn't happen.Eventually, I decided to help God out a little.
"mmm-shambalya-nasu. Ora leeson rea ba neru." As I continued, I noticed that I was repeating many of the same syllables. I wondered if my parents caught my repetition and if they'd be disappointed to know that I was making (most?) of it up as I went along.
I decided not to tell them. I so badly wanted to be filled with the Spirit. Earlier today I watched the documentary Jesus Camp. More than a few of the children in it looked like I felt at that age - earnest, confused, trying to follow God even when they didn't feel a thing.
*Sorry, Shok, but you're not allowed to feel guilty about this. ;) You always did what you thought was best for us at that particular time in our lives.
2 comments:
Hey
The same thing happened to me only I was a 22 year old drug addict.It seemed to work for a while until I realised that speaking in tounges was more than just a sign of being a pentecostal
What do you mean?
Post a Comment